us

us

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

If it can happen to us, it can happen to you!!! Please, please READ THIS, and send any and ALL suggestions to me!!!!

       When someone else's irresponsible choices hurt you, or nearly kill you, you should be allowed to have some closure. You should be allowed to rebuild your life as best you can with the pieces you have left. On December 31, 2011, My daughter and I were hit in a head-on collision by a drunk driver named Derek Wade Perilloux. He had a BAC of 0.16; 0.08 is considered intoxicated. 
       At the last court date, the judge told him he would receive 5 yrs., 4 yrs of which would be suspended, and one year which had to be served in jail. Today,  however, he received one year house arrest, 3 or 4 yrs. of probation, and $1000 restitution for the over $900,000 of surgeries I've received over the last year and a half. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!! This man has had 4-5 DUIs, but was allowed to plead an article that reduced the charges, so his insurance wasn't informed of his many, many indiscretions. He was also charged with drug paraphernalia possession in 2010, which has somehow gone missing from his record as of today???
        What happened to my daughter and myself can happen to YOU and YOUR CHILD!!! Please imagine for a moment, that this accident had happened to you. You've had 14 surgeries over the last year and a half, you've lost your car and your job as a registered nurse because a drunk driver drove into your lane and hit you head-on. You are struggling financially with the mess that someone else's life choices brought into your life!!! You've lost your home, and your 3 children have been yanked from the only private school they've ever known, to attend public schools because you've lost your job and can't afford their tuition. My life as I knew it, is over. This man was not made to serve ANY jail time for this crime. This was not a victimless crime!!! I've gone to every court appearance to advocate for my daughter and myself, so our story could be told, and this man could be taken off the streets. He doesn't deserve to drive or have a license. He shouldn't e allowed to move on with life as usual...I can't, and my daughter can't!!! 
       The judge told him at the last court appearance that he had to serve one year jail time. Today, however, when it was announced he would serve one year house arrest, the assistant DA said nothing to correct it. She stood by, knowing fully well that the judge had said he must serve one year, and did not remind her of that fact. Instead, she stood by while the judge mistakenly charged him with one year house arrest. You are not immune to these events. They can happen to you, especially now that he'll be out on the streets again. The assistant DA did not advocate for my daughter and me, and I will do all I can to ensure that the BAR association is made aware of her misconduct. If anyone has any ideas or comments that might help, please, please email me!!! We must do something to make these people accountable for their actions, or this could all happen to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment