us

us

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Jenny-The bucket list

Some people might see these things that happen in life as reasons to stop trying.  Reasons to stop living. That wasn't my experience with the other side. Getting so close to losing my life or life as I knew it made me just want to try harder to fight harder.  Not just for myself but for my kids.  So when you have one of these setbacks just don't forget to see the bigger picture. Lessons can be learned everywhere.

I didn't have an easy time with my pregnancies.  I had to go through a LOT of testing, medications, and trials to have our precious kids. So I don't take them for granted.  I don't think anyone should take having children for granted.  Because so many people can't have children, or never had the opportunity.  It's something that has fulfilled me in ways I cannot express. My kids have the greatest questions about life and offer some pretty great insights at times too.  Makes me feel like we must be doing something right. Since I was injured on vacation I've had lots of time to think!  I just started back at the gym but I try really hard to make sure everyone in the family is happy.  Mason wanted to go to preschool so I found one for him.  Ava has lots of plans for the summer too.

That being said we all have days when the kids are screaming and you are so tired you could cry but you can't stop.  You can't stop because you are a mom.  My two little driving forces are always there to make my realize what is important, who I'm fighting for, and who I need to teach each moment I have available. I'm so lucky to have them.

So we work on life lessons, we play, we explain things over and over again.  Aren't we all searching for something? Trying to learn something new? I hope I never lose that enthusiasm for life that children have, their inquisitive nature, the many questions they have about things I've never thought about.  Put me at the kids table during Thanksgiving.  I'll have a great time.

I have a lot to do this summer.  We just moved to a new city and I had to get everything set up.  We're also on the hunt for a new house.  So these things have taken up a lot of time.  But Ava has a bucket list.  Yes, our six year old keeps a running tally of things she would like to do and it's my job to make them happen. I'm not exactly sure how this happened but she makes sure I know what's on the list. I'm basically a part-time chef, teacher, driver, and all around planner.

Making promises to kids (and keeping them) is really important.  So when I say I'm going to do something I really try to make it happen. So in between writing deals, making offers, working out, and cooking I've been subjugated to make these dreams come true.  Which is really more of a gift to me than is it to Ava.  Because I get to experience these things with her. So we took the family vacation. We showed Ava the ocean. She got to meet a famous dolphin.  This week it was seeing the movie Turbo, without her screaming brother, go to a trampoline place with Stacey and me and literally bounce off the walls. Next week it's making a pineapple upside down cake (Seriously where does she come up with these ideas?) and riding a horse. Not at the same time!

Stacey and I were really excited to go jump and happily got ready to go without thinking other parents wouldn't be jumping.  The thought just didn't occur to me.  So we went today and for an entire hour we jumped, and laughed, and fell, and bounced off walls. I jumped in the foam pit and climbed out cracking up laughing.  Yes, I was one of the only adults out there.  Why? It made us sad to see parents there on their phones, on their computers waiting in the lobby.  Sure, we all have stuff to do.  Not every minute can be dedicated to fun. But these moments are the ones we will treasure. These are the best days of of lives.  The ones we can spend together.

But in 10 years or 15 years is any of that stuff going to matter if we didn't spend this time with our kids?  No, it's not.  Their dreams should be our dreams too.  That's the way it should be, because we brought them into the world.  I wouldn't have it any other way. So I'm off to find a place for Ava to ride a horse and I guess we'll be baking this week too.  Don't worry. Mason gets his dreams too.  For now they mostly involve superheroes, or drawing sharks eating a variety of things.  But pretty soon he'll be making a list for us too.  So they are directing us on what they want in life.  It's our joy to provide it. Hopefully all of us never lose the wonder in a child's eyes when they get to experience something new.

Like I always say,  "don't forget to stop and look for ladybugs." It's things like ladybugs that kids notice all the time and we are blind to seeing anymore. Because we're always looking up, propelling forward in some crazy foot race, while kids are looking at the ground and happy with things that are free.

Hope all of you have a great week.

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure it meant the world to Ava that you were right there with her on the trampolines today. That is pure joy in the eyes of a six year old.

    ReplyDelete