us

us

Friday, June 14, 2013

Jenny-10 years ago today we got married....

We met because of Anne and Matt.  I introduced Anne to Matt and they got married.  They thought Jeremy was a great match for me.  Jeremy asked me out, (actually he told me he was taking me out) on their wedding day.  I drove Anne and Matt from Baton Rouge to New Orleans after their wedding and the entire ride they talked about how Jeremy was the perfect guy for me.  They actually said, "He's really short, hilarious, and we think he's perfect for you!" We've been together ever since our first date. We both knew right away that this was serious.  Our first date was on my dad's birthday.  He made me really nervous, in a good way.  Ten years ago today I married Jeremy and I'm still excited every time I see him.  We got married at St. Anthony of Padua in New Orleans.  In June, in the heat, and I couldn't wait for my dad to come get me out the limo so Jeremy and I could get married.  It seemed like the longest 5 minutes of my life waiting for my dad.

I couldn't get the unity candle lit on the alter and could not stop laughing.  I was doubled over cracking up laughing while our priest was telling me to stop laughing.  Which only made me laugh more.  So the ceremony may not have been complication free but it was perfect for us.  That church is so beautiful, cherubs carved into the windowsills, stained glass windows glowing with light.  We were both so hopeful about the future. We were blissfully happy and had no idea where life would take us in ten years.  So excited to finally be married after 4 years together.  Little did we know the path life would take us on.  So many great times and so many terrible, scary ones too.  14 bladder surgeries, 9 heart surgeries and 2 kids later we're more in love than ever.  Because we truly accept each other.
                                               The best gift Jeremy ever gave me...

Some people told me that they thought Jeremy would leave me because I had so many medical problems.  (Which is a terrible thing to say in the middle of a medical crisis.) But he always told me, he didn't marry me thinking everything would be perfect. He married me because he loved me and we would get through anything together.  He was right. I can't explain what it is like to be totally accepted by someone.  But it's more than amazing to know I have someone by my side who loves me unconditionally and will be there to support me until the end.  Someone who is even stronger than me, which is pretty darn tough! What an unbelievable gift to give someone to love them despite their flaws.

No one is perfect.  But when you love someone you accept their imperfections.  Fairy tale romances aren't real.  Life isn't perfect.  Life is about rolling with the punches and getting back up to fight another day.  My dad used to always say marriage isn't 50/50, it's 100/100. Because if your wife needs something you step up and you take of it, 100 percent.  Ten years later I can say my dad is right.  Sometimes you have to put in more work than other times but we both support each other 100 percent of the time.  Jeremy is my best friend.  I have been blessed with wonderful amazing friends, some of which have been around almost my entire life.  But Jeremy is the one I want to know all my stories.  He's seen me at my worst and I like to think we have our best times ahead of us. With our beautiful kids and my cyborg heart.

Our wild kiddos


I hear people talking about this "perfect" fairy tale life they are seeking, the "perfect" partner for them. People are not components on a list.  We are all human beings which means we are imperfect.  But it's about finding someone who has the character traits you need in a partner.  We all are going to look the same in a pair of jeans at 80 years old. So superficial looks aren't important.  It's about matters of the heart, loyalty, and the true meaning of commitment.  For better and for worse till death do you part.

Ava frightened at the thought of being held captive with us.


I never really cared about our wedding. I wasn't a bridezilla.  My mom planned our wedding while I was working in Houston and Jeremy and I just basically showed up. The "wedding" wasn't really important to me.  The marriage was/is important to me.  Choosing the right person to spend the rest of my life was important to me.  So lucky to have found Jeremy. I can't wait to see what the next 10 years will hold for us and our family.  Thank you for staying with me through everything and making me a mom! Love you always and forever.

Our babies when they were little

Our babies now









No comments:

Post a Comment